Sunday 17 June 2012

The Chaos Decimator Daemon Engine

Don't ask me why I bought it, I don't even play chaos! I guess I'm just a sucker for a pretty model, and I really like dreads even if I'm not that big a fan of the general design of the other mecha in the 40k universe. The tanks are a bit naff in my opinion. Everything just seems a bit chibi, if that makes sense! Plus I'm unlikely to be playing it ever at this rate, so it's purely eye candy.

But, as I said, I do like a nice walking suit of armour and when ForgeWorld released the Decimator Daemon Engine I ordered it the next time I was down in Nottingham.

So I wanted to do something different with the paint job and I thought a chipped paint finish would be a good idea. A bit of youtube research on the hair-spray technique later and I had him all rusted up.


I managed to pop in to Boyes in Scarborough the other day and picked up a couple of the Vallejo Air bottles. There's a lovely rust colour, plus a metallic version so he's base coated in a mixture of those and an undercoat-looking grey in places:


Next stage was to spray him about four coats of my wife's hair-spray. That's the experimental bit since I haven't done it before. Of all the chemicals I sprayed about today, the hair-spray was without doubt the nastiest! To me it looks like I might have coated it a bit heavy, but I'll just have to see when I now put the main colour over the top of it.

Once I decide on the colour that is. I originally wanted a red and black scheme, but I don't think the chipping would show up very well if I went with that. I've been reading the Soul Drinkers books recently so maybe purple, possibly with a green trim. Not that the Soul Drinkers would have had a Daemon Engine!

Anyway, I'm eager to get it sprayed so I can try out the chipping technique. If it doesn't work and ruins the model you can be sure I'll cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment